Provides a background to the history of the town,
the ‘tenet-ware-den’, the ‘den’
or pig-pasture of the men of Thanet (Tenet). Maps
and models of the town and of the Rother estuary explain
the development of Tenterden around its 13th century
market area, on a broad ridge above the valley of
the Rother, only two miles from the busy sea-port
of Small Hythe, also within the *Hundred of Tenterden.
The robes of a Baron of the Cinque Ports and other
exhibits belonging to the Corporation show how important
to Tenterden’s future was the incorporation
of the ‘Town and Hundred’ in 1449, as
a member of a Confederation of the Cinque Ports.